The Flint River GREEN Professional Development Day is free of charge and restricted to teachers and mentors committed to participating in the Flint River GREEN program in 2019. Participants must have previously completed the Water Quality Testing Workshop or have previously participated in Flint River GREEN.
WHEN/WHERE: February 22, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Genesee Intermediate School District Erwin L. Davis Education Center rooms F & G (2413 West Maple Avenue, Flint, MI 48507-3493).We will head to a tour of downtown Flint at 12:45 p.m.
DETAILS/WHAT TO BRING:
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- Dive deeper into Flint River GREEN implementation as you explore
- how to interpret and synthesize data with students
- classroom technology resources
- how to implement PBL/PBE with Flint River GREEN
- Student Summit preparations
- tips and tricks with peers and expert mentors
- planning your Flint River GREEN unit
- take a tour of downtown Flint as it relates to water quality
- Bring appropriate outdoor gear according to the weather. The afternoon tour will be indoors and outdoors.
- Bring a computer or tablet as you are able.
- Bring any chemical kits currently at your school for chemical replacement and kit updates.
- Bring your GREEN Teacher Notebook. If you are a new participant, a print copy will be provided at the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th.
- Water Quality Testing Procedures WILL NOT be covered on this date. For a refresher or training on how to perform the tests, you must register for the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th.
- New GREEN Teachers must also register for and attend the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th: http://www.flintrivergreen.org/category/events/
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE PD:
- Review the most recent GREEN notebook and come ready with questions: http://www.flintrivergreen.org/materials/
- Let the Program Manager know by February 15th how many sets of kits you need:
- 1 kit includes:
- 1 of each test (phosphates, nitrates, pH, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, biological oxygen demand)
- 1 phosphate lab sample bottle
- 4 coliscan dishes and solution (for fecal coliform)
- 1 total solids lab sample bottle
- We strongly encourage you to source the following materials within your school/district, but please let us know if you also need assistance acquiring any of the following:
- nitrile gloves
- safety goggles
- 1 kit includes:
For questions or registration: Autumn Mitchell, Education Program Manager for Flint River Watershed Coalition: firstname.lastname@example.org. Last day to register is May 15, 2018.