GREEN is a free citizen science water quality monitoring program offered to all 6th – 12th grade students in the Flint River watershed. It is made possible through a number of partners including the Genesee County Drain Commission, General Motors, the MiSTEM Network, the GISD, MSUE, and UM Flint Discovering PLACE.
- A 3 – hour asynchronous online training module describing program logistics that is required for participation in the program.
- LaMotte Chemistry Sampling kits (approximately 1 set per 30 students)
- An expert mentor to present to your class and assist with testing and analysis at a nearby stream or in the schoolyard
- An invitation to attend the Student Summit in late May for students to present their findings and attend breakout sessions as in a professional conference
- Access to GREEN and Bridges teacher resources on the GREEN website
- potential mini-grant funding for student projects
Bridges is a robust, interdisciplinary 12-week curriculum and coaching program in its third year that requires additional PD throughout the school year and includes a commitment to engage with community partners and lead students through a stewardship action project. Bridges provides additional chemistry kits (approx up to 5 sets per 30 students), pH testing probes, in-depth teacher support, and a veteran teacher network. Teachers may elect to participate in Bridges if you have previously participated in the pilot training program.
Whether you are interested in fall or spring testing please register as soon as possible to reserve your supplies.