The Flint River GREEN Professional Development Day is free of charge and restricted to teachers and mentors committed to participating in the Flint River GREEN program in 2019. Participants must have previously completed the Water Quality Testing Workshop or have previously participated in Flint River GREEN.
WHEN/WHERE: February 22, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Genesee Career Institute in room GCI 1 & 2 (5081 Torrey Rd, Flint, MI 48507). Location subject to change. Please refer to your registration confirmation for any location updates. We will head to a tour of downtown Flint at 12:45 p.m.
DETAILS/WHAT TO BRING:
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- Dive deeper into Flint River GREEN implementation as you explore
- how to interpret and synthesize data with students
- classroom technology resources
- how to implement PBL/PBE with Flint River GREEN
- Student Summit preparations
- tips and tricks with peers and expert mentors
- planning your Flint River GREEN unit
- take a tour of downtown Flint as it relates to water quality
- Bring appropriate outdoor gear according to the weather. The afternoon tour will be indoors and outdoors.
- Bring a computer or tablet as you are able.
- Bring any chemical kits currently at your school for chemical replacement and kit updates.
- Bring your GREEN Teacher Notebook. If you are a new participant, a print copy will be provided at the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th.
- Water Quality Testing Procedures WILL NOT be covered on this date. For a refresher or training on how to perform the tests, you must register for the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th.
- New GREEN Teachers must also register for and attend the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th: http://www.flintrivergreen.org/category/events/
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE PD:
- Review the most recent GREEN notebook and come ready with questions: http://www.flintrivergreen.org/materials/
- Let the Program Manager know by February 15th how many sets of kits you need:
- 1 kit includes:
- 1 of each test (phosphates, nitrates, pH, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, biological oxygen demand)
- 1 phosphate lab sample bottle
- 4 coliscan dishes and solution (for fecal coliform)
- 1 total solids lab sample bottle
- We strongly encourage you to source the following materials within your school/district, but please let us know if you also need assistance acquiring any of the following:
- nitrile gloves
- safety goggles
Note: Teachers participating in Flint River GREEN are currently sponsored by the Flint River Watershed Coalition and our partners. Training, materials and support are provided free of charge with the expectation that participants will complete and submit all water quality data requirements, will return all materials in a timely fashion, and will attend the Student Summit with a representative group of participating students.
For questions or registration: Autumn Mitchell, Education Program Manager for Flint River Watershed Coalition: email@example.com. Last day to register is May 15, 2018.
Water Quality Testing Workshop: February 20th from 4-7 p.m.
For new and existing GREEN teachers and mentors. Covers only safety, background information and procedures for each of the nine GREEN tests. Full program training is provided at the Professional Development Day on February 22nd. See our event page for more information on both trainings.
Flint River GREEN Professional Development Day: February 22nd from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
For all GREEN program participants who have previously participated in GREEN or are registered to complete the Water Quality Testing Workshop on February 20th. Covers in depth Flint River GREEN implementation with students and planning sessions as well as expansion opportunities. Includes a water quality awareness tour of downtown Flint. See our event page for more information
Water Quality Testing Windows
Fall 2018: October 15 – 26
Spring 2019: April 22 – May 10
Tentative date: May 30, 2019